Tuesday, May 3

Maine Farm

Just read the book "Maine Farm" by two lovely people whose names I can't remember - but their book had me in tears. The descriptions of their beautiful, simple, fulfilling life reminded me so much of my childhood and the kind of life that I would like to make for myself in the future - it was all too overwhelming. The photos were absolutely stunning and I could relate to every single one of them. Although I didn't grow up by the seacoast, the climate and everything is pretty much the same, so it leads to a very similar farming experience. I do think living by the Maine seacoast would have even more benefits simply because you would have all the resources (and beauty) of the sea at your front door; seaweed for fertilizer, seafood, beach plants for wild edibles, and most of all, you could SAIL! Maine is by far one of the most beautiful places on the planet. I can remember sailing around the Maine islands with my grandfather on his beautiful Concordia wooden sailboat, each island more beautiful than the next. Then, a couple of years later I did a sailing trip with some kids my age and visited an island that was one of the most captivating, beautiful, amazing places I ever seen in my entire life, the words I write cannot begin to express it's sheer... amzing-ness! Roque Island I believe it's called, and the whole thing's owned by a couple of wealthy blokes who have hired some nice people to build and take care of a farm there. When we rowed ashore, we saw beautiful ponies grazing in the beach grass right on the dunes. The island was enchanting, and totally sustainable, green, organic everything. They let us eat some of their carrots too. It was my dream for a while to pack up and work there... and that dream is starting to come back I think.
All I know is that I am goddamn sure looking forward to getting out of here for a while a starting something new.



-Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment