Friday, March 18

Food Stuffs

So after a lot of research into diets and healthy foods, this is the conclusion I've come to. Diets can work, and give quick results, but they are only temporary, and can put you through unnecessary "agony" and unhappiness. What you gotta do is change your eating lifestyle. It is a gradual process and takes motivation, but is so rewarding and give you amazing results - for the rest of your life. Simply start to eat healthy, natural, organic, FRESH foods, as unprocessed as you can find. Basically tons of fruits and veggies (remember there are endless possibilities of foods to make with just fruits and veggies) nuts, whole grains, etc. I'll give you guys a look a what I eat and maybe that'll give you some ideas:

Carrots
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Broccoli
Avocados
Spinach and dark green/red lettuce
Mangos
Purple grapes
Oranges
Apples
Strawberries
Blueberries
Hummus (I put this on everything)
Pesto
Low-fat feta cheese
Whole grain tortilla wraps
Peanut butter
Greek yogurt (Chobani is the best I've found)
Multibran cereal (I eat Nature's Path Flax Plus, add some skim milk and sliced strawberries and it's delicious.)
Trail mix - almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, raisins, and dark chocolate chips (keep a bag, handy for snacks when you're on the run, it's easy and gives you energy.)
Salmon (when I can, usually baked)
Lentil Soup
Eggs.


Most importantly, drink lots of water. It flushes out your system daily, gives your cells lots of water, and just keeps you healthy and feeling good. I keep my nalgene with me where ever I go and take swigs out of it when I'm bored or in class or wherever. You should drink 2 nalgenes a day.

Oh, and TEA!! I drink tea like crasy town, I've heard that green tea can be helpful for losing weight, but I've never been partial to it. I just like me some english breakfast, earl grey, or chamomile, with milk and a dash of sugar. I don't know if it's good for you or anything, but it calms me down and gives me some extra water!


I learned this in class, and bear with me, I'm going somewhere with this:
So the earliest humans were hunter gatherers. They travelled around seasonally, the men hunting small animals, birds, rabbits, and also some scavenging from already killed game (contrary to popular belief, we didn't hunt large game until much later, starting with the neandertals and Homo erectus and early Homo sapiens), and the women gathering edible plants, nuts and berries. They got a lot of exercise everyday and spent most of their time looking for food, yet their life was not brutish, savage and extremely rough, like many believe. Physical anthropologists can look at these early human bones and tell that out of all the human species, these guys were the healthiest. Regular exercise, and most of all natural unprocessed food directly from the earth.
Around 12,000 bce the most recent ice age ended and the grain wheat started to grow and prosper on the hills of the middle east. These hunter gatherers who lived in the area realized this grain could be domesticated and grown in plots, and they would have a reliable source of food right their outside their window. So they abandoned their traveling hunter/gatherer lifestyle and settled down, built houses, and started modern agricultural civilization.
So these physical anthropologists compared the bones of the old hunter gatherers and the bones of these new agricultural society citizens, and noticed that the agriculturals were less healthy. Why? Because they started to rely solely on wheat for their food, and started processing it and making it less and less natural with every process. Edible greens, fresh meat and other natural foods left their diet, along with the healthy lifestyle that would never again show up in human history.

So thats why we're fat!!!

So overall, it's proven that natural unprocessed are the best for humans, along with regular exercise. And there you have it, the reason for what I eat. History rules!!!!



-Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment