Monday, March 21

LOSING WEIGHT and other dilemas






I just wanted to let you guys know how my battle with food and weight is going... I'm trying just as hard as the next person to lose some inches. Bikini season is right around the corner people.

Some cool things I've learned about losing weight:
-If you multiply your ideal weight by 10, that is the number of calories you should have per day.
-If you want to lose a pound of fat per week, reduce your usual daily caloric intake by 500
-One pound of fat is equal to 3,500 calories. (so if you want to lose an lb a day, aim to burn 3,500 calories a day.)
-Your daily caloric intake shouldn't go below 1200.
-To stay at their current weight, most women need around 2000 calories per day.

So, my ideal weight is 120, so I'm aiming at 1200 calories per day.
So, I've been keeping pretty close to that but boy, is it hard. Even a cup of tea with a tbsp of sugar and some milk can be 70 calories! It just really adds up - we have to pay really careful attention of what we put into our kissers.
Companies are also very tricky and say something is "low fat" of "healthy diet" something something, but if you look at the calories, they are astronomical! A nice cup of yogurt, fruit and granola can be 500 calories!! They add in sodium and extra sugar which sky rockets the calories. The trick is to find healthy food that is good for you, but also low calories. It's hard. For example, a trail mix of assorted nuts, dried fruit, and maybe some dark chocolate, all very very healthy, can be like 500 calories for a handful. See my earlier post "Food Stuffs" for foods that are nutritious yet low-calorie.

Here is what I eat on an average day. Sometimes its more, sometimes less.

Morning
1 packet Quaker Oats plain oatmeal (100 cals)
Sliced strawberries and blueberries on top (20 cals)
Cup of coffee (60 cals)


Lunch
1 hummus wrap
   includes:
         Whole wheat wrap (150 cals)
         Sliced tomato (15 cals)
         Sliced cucumber (10 cals)
         2 tbsp hummus (70 cals)
or
1 Mexican wrap:
   includes:
           Whole wheat wrap
            Salsa
            Sliced tomato
            Beans
            Avocado
            Lemon juice

Dinner
1 hummus wrap
Tea (50 cals)

Snacks
Mango (135 cals)
Apple (80 cals)



So, not too bad. It sounds like no food at all, but it really is the best way to go. The foods are really healthy and natural, so I feel energized and great throughout the day. It's filling, so I don't have (too many) cravings. But most of all, I am getting in the habit of eating well, which is a life skill and will really help me down the road as I get older. (Although right now I'm using it for the sole purpose of losing weight. Which is ok! Whatever gets me there!)


Next step: exercise...


-Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment